Tuesday, June 29, 2010

wow. what an experience I've had so far. We arrived at the airport in Ahmedebad at 9:30 pm on June 29th. We had to get off the plane and get onto a bus that drove us to the airport. When we walked outside we were amazed at the blazing heat we felt that late at night. I was instantly sweating and clammy.. Not fun. After leaving the crowded, small airport, we walked outside where we found that every soul was staring at us. Amongst the crowded people I saw one man holding a sign "Ashlee Roberts and Justin Larsen." My "secret" name while I am here is Ashlee. Well we went and got in his van and rode to our hotel. The ride was about an hour and a half.. Along the ride we saw cows just sitting and hanging out along the streets. People worship cows here, so you will see them very often on the side of the road.

We checked in at the La Casa Inn. These people waited on us hand and foot, and they still do. They took our luggage to our room. When we got to our room it was like a sauna. Here in India, the room key is also the power key. Once you get into the room, there is a slot for the room key to go into which powers the whole room. We got the AC going and it cooled down pretty fast. Even though it was midnight, I was pretty hungry. I ordered room service for us.. Bombay House Grill Sandwhich. Here is what was on it.. 3 pieces of bread, green sauce (almost like avacado spread), onions, tomatoes, potatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, and white cheese. It was kind of heated, then grilled. Very different flavors than in the U.S. But I ate it up, considering my hunger.

We went to bed and woke the next morning at 7 AM due to the honking of horns outside. Did I mention that there are NO traffic rules here in India? Watch the video that I posted on "crossing the street in India" and see for yourself. People do whatever they want here. Kinda scary!!

We showered up and got ready for my apt which was at 11 AM. Our driver, Ingrajeet, picked us up 30 min early to take us there. He stopped the car in the middle of a street and pointed to a building. That is where we would go to see Dr. Patel. There were many shoes sitting outside the building, so we figured we were to take off our shoes. We entered, and they guided us to Dr. patels office. Dr. Patel is in Rome till Thursday they said, but here husband is also a doctor and he was in her office taking over. He spoke English very well and told us everything to expect during our stay. We exchanged US money for Rupies and got some excellent tips from him.

He told us that today I would get a scan and get my blood drawn, then come back in a few hours to start the medication. The scan was definitely a story. these girls took me into a room and held up a blanket around me, they pointed to my pants and pulling them down. I did that and they got the doc to come in. He did an ultra sound of my uterus and cervix. When he was finished, I was sent back to Dr. Patels room to get my blood drawn. They sent me home and told me to return at 4 pm.

We came back to the hotel and had lunch at the restaurant. We had chicken Tikka Masala and garlic naan. It was so amazing!! We loved the lunch, but unfortunately couldn't finish it. Next time we will remember not to order too much food. It is looked at as "disrespectful"

When I returned, they told me that my levels in my blood were not normal and that we couldn't start the stimulation (meds) until they were. They kept asking if I take thyroid medication, so i'm guessing my thyroid levels were high. So they asked that I return in the morning at 9 am, fasting, for a second blood draw.

Well here I am ready to go into my appointment. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. im out of the loop. why are you in india for treatment? your doctor wasn't there so you saw her husband? this sounds INCREDIBLY sketch! come back to the states. our healthcare HAS to be better than theirs....right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Linds, sounds like you are having some amamzing experiences. I will call tomorrow tonight to find out about the thyroid levels. The food sounds amazing. The culture sounds so different. Be safe and have fun. I love you both.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete